RIFA Snack Backpacks
August 19, 2018 - 9:00 AM
Aldersgate has long been in ministry to the hungry in our community by supporting the work of RIFA. For several years, we have had volunteers who provide desserts on the 12th of each month to be used at the soup kitchen. Recently, we have also begun providing and serving the evening meal on the 4th Thursday of each month. This month we have a chance to support another terrific RIFA program – Snack Backpack. According to their website, “RIFA provides Snack Backpacks to over 1,000 children at 14 elementary schools each week during the school year (42 weeks). Each Snack Backpack provides a child with six meals and two snacks and costs approximately $3.78.” The Snack Backpacks are given to children on Fridays who would have little or no food during the weekends. Coming soon, there are two ways to support RIFA in their efforts to meet the needs of hungry children:
1. On Saturday, August 18, from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., you can help “Pack the Bus” at
Wal-Mart (North and South), Kroger (University Parkway and Lynwood), or Food Giant (Christmasville Road). Here are the items they need:
● Oatmeal (single serve packs)
● Ramen Noodles (chicken or beef)
● Chicken Noodle Soup (with pop-tops)
● Microwave Popcorn (individually wrapped)
● Ravioli (single serve with pop-tops)
● Apple Sauce (with foil lids)
● Macaroni & cheese (individual packets/bowls)
2. On Sunday, August 19, pick up a Snackpack Bus Bank at church. Fill with your change and bring back to church on September 16. Your coins can make a HUGE difference. Remember that $3.78 can fill a backpack for a student for one weekend. Aldersgate has 35 bus banks to fill. I wonder how many backpacks we can fill with our collective change?
So, I encourage you to support the RIFA Snack Backpack program through one or both of these events and be part of the solution to hunger in our community.